Beginner question

J. T. Auteiri auteiri at fastmail.fm
Fri Dec 10 10:34:15 UTC 2004

Hello!

I'm a newbie to Squeak.  I've heard of Smalltalk, and have always wanted
to learn it.  Unfortunately, the time required and opportunity to do so
never arose before until now.  I am interested in Squeak, as it appears
to be a highly dynamic community, steadfast on improving and refining
the Squeak language and environment.

I wonder if someone can help me get up to speed in learning Squeak.
I've already purchased a number of books on smalltalk including
Guzdial's white book.  I think I have a decent handle on the Smalltalk
language.  I''m looking for help in something more specific, namely: how
to use the IDE effectively, how to maintain an image, how to version
different snapshots of the image and the project (I think Squeak uses
something alled ChangeSets, but I don't have a good understanding of
what a ChangeSet is).  Coming from the Java world, I have a different
notion of how to set up and version a project (using CVS or Subversion
and Ant).  I wold like to learn the corresponding techniques in
Smalltalk.

Browing through comp.lang.smalltallk, for example, I notice people
soemtimes  write scripts in which they perform a daily build of an
image, by takine a fresh new image, importing all the code written to
date into the image in order to re-create the current working state.  I
don't know if this is common practice in Smalltalk or not, but it gels
with my background in more static file-based languages, and my
understanding of how continuous integration works.

Thus I would like to learn Squeak, but more specificaly, I would like to
learn configuration management in Squeak (I already like the language).
Can someone help me out in this endeavor?

Jerry
--
  J. T. Auteiri
  auteiri at fastmail.fm