SoundRecorder sampleRate on OS X

Peter Moore pmoore at software.umn.edu
Fri Dec 10 21:02:04 UTC 2004

Hi everyone,

Why is the SoundRecorder limited to recording at a sample rate of 44100 on
OS X? Setting samplingRate has no effect because it will get overwritten
by the call to SoundRecorder>>primGetActualRecordingSampleRate (always
44100).

I'm trying to record voice data for streaming, so 44100 samples per second
is way more data than I need. Is this a limitation of OS X itself? Maybe
it's something that got carried over from previous versions of MacOS? Or
is this something that I can configure somewhere in the OS?

-Peter Moore