FFI bug? (was Passing a char[] inside a struct to an FFI call)

C. David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Sat Dec 11 07:24:26 UTC 2004

Andreas Raab wrote:

>> So I should manually copy the bytes of my string into the
>> ExternalStructure and ignore the mutator that is generated?
>

> Unless you want to add the missing feature, yes.

I'm still floundering here...is the missing feature the fact that the
framework doesn't support array types (except when they can be
represented as pointers)?  Are you suggesting an implementation which
might take a field spec like:

#((someNumber 'long' 4) (someString 'byte[255]' ))

and generate the desired accessors?  It seems to just be an issue with
the type system/spec parsing.  Am I off target here?  Is this subtle and
hard to fix or just waiting for an willing victim?  One can never tell
and I hate to re-visit something which has been tried and abandoned.

David