Squeak map problems under Gentoo linux

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sat Dec 11 16:25:35 UTC 2004

The debug log shows clear evidence of the infamous 'object memory has
escaped the 2Gb playroom' problem.

We really ought to find a solution to this sometime - basically some part of OM
extends beyond an address of 2Gb and there is a piece of code involved in the
segment loading that treats the addresses as signed int (actually lots of code
does but this part fails because of it)  and thus the prim fails and
you get kaboom. I _think_ Ian's 64 bit vm extensions might provide a
workaround but I'm also pretty sure I saw news of a performance issue
on 32bit machines. I'm anticipating moving 64bitness into the 3.9
VMMaker stream sometime, so we'll see.

tim
Strange OpCodes: L: Lie!