A roadmap for 3.9

Michael Latta lattam at mac.com
Mon Dec 13 03:02:49 UTC 2004

Yes I agree.  Java is the new Cobol.  There are many Java systems that
will take hordes to maintain.  The language is a step up from C, but
not what Smalltalkers are used to.  The shortcomings in the language
and the environment (J2EE) by tools that "make it easier" to use.  But
the executing artifacts are at a very low level of abstraction, and the
designs are very complex.  Many of the libraries are designed for the
most complex case, with no reasonable set of defaults.  With JDK 5.0
they are starting to respond to this, but in a more static direction,
that adds even more coupling between different parts of the code.  The
problem with strong typed languages like Java is that they bind a
collection of methods to a "type" and then propagate this binding all
through a system.  Then eventually that binding needs to change, be
extended, or two bindings merged, and you find out that the effort for
a small change makes the entire system unstable!

Here is to hoping that Smalltalk the language evolves, not just
Smalltalk the image.  This does not mean the syntax needs to change,
but the core concepts expressed in language level objects.  For
example, packaging and versioning of code should be in the language,
not an add-on that is imposed on top of the language.  The objects that
map from packaging units to executable artifacts, need to be part of
the compiled language to ensure they are treated well, and they need to
have first-class object representations that can be manipulated and
read at run-time.  In Objective-C you can append methods to a class
without modifying its source.  And these appendages are first class
constructs, that in Smalltalk would be accessible as meta-data.  These
class fractions could then belong to one or more packages.  Having
first class objects allows proper tracking of origins, dependencies,
etc.  If versioning was part of the language for specifying a class,
then when you reference the class for inheritance you would specify the
compatibility rules with your superclass, etc.  Libraries are no
substitute for a good language.

Michael