What is Squeak? (Was Re: A roadmap for 3.9)

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Dec 13 13:57:57 UTC 2004

Am 13.12.2004 um 14:46 schrieb Mark Guzdial:

> On Dec 12, 2004, at 7:36 PM, Josh Gargus wrote:
>> You are speaking of the expectation failure of someone who used 3.6
>> in class, and later downloads 3.7 and finds that Wonderland doesn't
>> work?  This is a valid point; this we should strive to avoid this.
>
> That, but also the expectation failure of reading the OOPSLA paper or
> one of the books, and decides to explore Squeak for, say, computer
> music exploration.  But what if the music packages aren't working
> anymore?  Is it a priority to keep the SampledSound hierarchy working?
> MIDI?

As a harvester, I tried to get in all fixes in all parts. I took
especially care to review stuff by Diego, as he is the last one really
keeping the
dynabook vision alive. In 3.8, there have been e.g. some simple but
nice enhancements (by Markus Gaelli) to make using MIDI easier.

> My comments are more based on Stef's response that he couldn't try the
> fixes yet because Wonderland isn't part of his image and he didn't
> know if he could load it.  What else isn't part of the image anymore?
> That's the expectation failure that I'm talking about -- what  happens
> to newcomers who are expecting everything in "Worlds of Squeak" to
> work, but find that it's not included in whatever the current version
> of "Squeak" is?

Wonderland is in the "full" image, that's what newcomers have. When we
put 3.7 together, we reported the fix of wonderland to the mantainer
of Balloon3D. Ned did additional fixes for squeakland, these have been
sent to the maintainer, too. For 3.8, someone will make a version
of Balloon3D with wonderland that has all the fixes. So everything is
good.

    Marcus