[newbie]Howto uninstall a package? How to extend a Class?

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Mon Dec 13 16:44:38 UTC 2004

jigme wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How to uninstall a package installed by using SM? I find I just need one of the completion enhancing packages but I've installed two.

The answer is unspectacular:

To my knowledge uninstalling packages is not easily generally possible
at the moment. In eclipse with its plugin architecture you would just
delete a subdirectory under plugins. Admittedly this is an excellent
thing. Sometime you can just delete the class category.

So basically what I do before installing new packages is to do a backup
copy of the whole image before.

> How to extend a class in my namespace and let the original class and the rest of the system unchanged and even not knowing any changes?

The thing which I recently learned to do (thanks to Stephane D.!) is to
create a Monticello working package 'HJHCustomisation' and add method
categories '*HJHCustomisation' in the classes I want to change. However
if it is not just adding methods I have to create hooks to existing
methods and thus changing the base system.

However what you always can do is subclass the classes you are working
with. This is useful even if you only add a few methods.

On the other side one of the effects I like most when working with
Smalltalk is that I can work with life objects. I instantiate objects
and develop code in the object inspectors going to the granularity level
I need. This is really really different from usal approaches.

Alejandro F. Raimondo tries to explain this in his answer with rather
philosophical words (which are a bit difficult to access IMO)

Cheers
Hannes