A number of questions

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Dec 14 06:12:41 UTC 2004

Michael Latta <lattam at mac.com> wrote:

> It is not clear from the discussions when a new VM version is released,
> only image versioning.  I assume (possibly a problem) that new VM
> versions are being developed at least to some degree.
The VM is under continuous development - a new version comes out at
least as often as new image numbers, sometimes more often. Recent
changes better than doubled performance on the large benchmarks for my
machine and did a little good for machines with big caches and
excessive power budgets :-)  Sometimes there is a largish gap between
the release of a new version of the VMMaker/VM code package and new VMs
appearing for general release.

> I will pick up the NuBlue book.  The ST-80 books I have had for
> decades.  I have started to read the comments in the VMMaker category,
> and will check the others.  There are platform specific MacOS but not
> OSX bits, on OS/X are you using the Unix bits, or the MacOS bits?
Wouldn't know - I don't use Macs much. I have a couple but prefer my
RISC OS machine. John deals with that platform area.

tim
Useful random insult:- Four bits short of a full DEC.