A number of questions

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Dec 14 07:29:42 UTC 2004

> Michael Latta <lattam at mac.com> wrote:
>> I will pick up the NuBlue book.  The ST-80 books I have had for
>> decades.  I have started to read the comments in the VMMaker category,
>> and will check the others.  There are platform specific MacOS but not
>> OSX bits, on OS/X are you using the Unix bits, or the MacOS bits?

I'm not sure I understand the question? Technically you can run either
the squeak VM as a unix quartz application
under os-x lacking some of the historical mac features, it's a
traditional unix development environment supported by Ian.

Or the original squeak mac VM as a carbon application. That code base
is compiled both on os-x using project builder and os-9 under
an old version of codewarrior and uses #ifdefs to switch between os-x
and os-9 issues. So for example we use carbon events versus the classic
getnextevent, or underneath posix UTF-8 file names, versus HFS+ names,
and unix BSD sockets, versus Open Transport.

More merging of the code base will occur over time, certainly once the
os-9 classic mac users fade into retirement.  Which VM to use
is a matter of personal preference.

===