interesting comment about Squeak

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Dec 14 08:57:11 UTC 2004

This is from  http://blogten.blogspot.com/

| Once upon a time I also used to contribute to Squeak.
|
| To make the story short, I could not deal with the ever-growing
mountain of crappy code anymore, and left. In the Squeak community,
| it's too easy to get credit for half-baking shitty code. Or, when you
don't feel like writing crap of your own, plain stealing someone else's
| code and stomping your initials in.
|
| There is no reward for cleanup. Squeak is, as far as I am concerned,
a few good ideas on top of a horrible implementation. If anybody
|  wants to do serious stuff, please resist the temptation and do not
use Squeak.

| It is very sad to come to say this, but you also have to consider
whether Squeak's soil is the proper place for your esthetically
pleasing
| intellectual seeds. It is not a good place for anything. Whatever is
left that is good in Squeak should be immediately rewritten in VW,
| Dolphin, or some other decent Smalltalk that is not controlled by
ruthlessly brute and insensitive people.

| Examine the Squeak mailing list over a long period of time and do not
miss the pattern. What do the people that stay in the