Squeak, Education and RPG (Role Playing Game)

Samir Saidani saidani at info.unicaen.fr
Tue Dec 14 19:34:46 UTC 2004

Hi,

Very interesting project José, we thought about a similar idea in the
educative squeak workgroup in France, and are interested to
participate in this project. In fact, the project we have is to design
an educative framework to build a role playing game in Squeak. More
precisely, there would be several levels in this framework, and the
first one meets the idea of a "story teller" : using a bookmorph,
EToys and character-specific widget. A second level would use
MorphingWrappers to interact easily with the scene, like taking or
dropping objects. A third level would propose a classes framework
giving an easy way for youngs to build an entire RPG, by including
music, sounds, images and online playing (between several Squeak
images). This is a rather ambitious project, but we have successfully
tested this kind of projets in classrooms (in Squeak - 18-19 years
old) and holiday camps (QBasic and LOGO - 9-10 years old). So maybe
could we join our forces to build such a framework ? And we are
looking for some codes to start this framework, I took a look on Sims
from Brian Rice and CastleMicroSloth from Adam Shackleford (in VW),
does somebody know others RPG in smalltalk ?

Regards,
Samir