MC in basic

Michael Latta lattam at mac.com
Tue Dec 14 20:59:35 UTC 2004

Here is another take on it:

1) The OS/X Cocoa team is not responsible for fixing code in iMovie or
even QuickTime when an API changes.
2) Currently Squeak does not have any stable API definitions between
components of the system.
3) It is harder in Squeak to locate changes in the API of classes you
depend upon, because there is no compile time checking that the input
objects still have the same methods.  (Even Java can not tell you if
the behavior of the method changes).  And I am NOT advocating compile
time type checking.

It seems like this is an opportunity for a new tool, or language
feature (like traits), that allows formal definition of APIs, and
checks for changes between versions.  This would be a kind of DIFF but
on the method signatures of classes rather than the source code.  It
would be great if this was part of MC since it has access to multiple
versions of the system.  Then a maintainer of multi-media packages
could identify the changes to other modules, and locate senders of
altered or removed methods.

Michael