MC in basic

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Dec 15 09:54:23 UTC 2004

Hi all!

"Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> > Please do not say that. Your nihilism is something boring :)
>
> No Nihilism. Just calm reasoning. The list has gotten a constant source of
> frustration where it used to be a source of inspiration and if that's so one
> needs to ask oneself if it's actually worth spending that much time on it

That sounds sad. I find the list to be overwhelming at times, but not a
"constant source of frustration".
Lots of people, lots of opinions, sure. And often lots of talk and less
"do it" of course.

> (it's not like I have nothing else to do). And given the recent discussion
> it feels like my interests are so out of sync with the prevailing opinion
> around here that I'm the lonely trouble maker. If that's the case then what

Andreas - that is not a prevailing opinion. You are one of the most
important Squeakers for tons of reasons - huge codebase is yours, Mr
Win32-VM, Mr Graphics, Mr Croquet (the only one communicating with
squeak-dev AFAIK), Mr Tweak etc etc.

So no, you are not a trouble maker. :) But it seems to me that you
sometimes miss the fact that Squeak is many different things to many
people. But us having different focus and different areas of interest
does NOT mean that we don't consider for example graphics to be a huge
important part of Squeak.

It is just a fact that most of us don't have the opportunity to work and
make money from using the multimedia parts of Squeak. I am plain happy
that I can use Squeak *at all* in my work, and only unfortunately a
little bit.

> better thing to do than to let go? It's not that I wouldn't work on the
> aspects that interest me - just that I'd shut up and let you guys go your
> way. The more I'm thinking about it, the more sense this makes to me.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

I would like to know in short what the problems are that you are
perceiving so that we can constructively go about trying to make things
better. The idea behind Basic and Full etc seemed to be well anchored
earlier. The fact that we desperately *need* to make Squeak more clearly
modular seemed also be agreed upon.

regards, Göran