[Q][Doc] Diego's Extremadura image (was: Re: A number of questions)

José L. Redrejo jredrejo at edu.juntaextremadura.net
Wed Dec 15 21:33:34 UTC 2004

Mensaje citado por Hannes Hirzel <hirzel at spw.unizh.ch>:

> José L. Redrejo Rodríguez wrote:
>
> >>3) On which Squeak version is Diego's image based?
> >>

> > On this one: http://impara.de/drop/m17n/
>
> Could you indicate more precisely which one it is on Bert's diagram?
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3832  (Release plan for 3.8)

Looking at the diagram is the one called m17n in green colour under in the
squeakland branch.

> >>4) Where can I download it?
> >

> >  http://swiki.agro.uba.ar/small_land/234
>
> I did it and it works out of the box on my Windowx XP machine.
> Still something exciting given the fact that it is deployed on Linux
> machines  for 80'000 users.

More information about our project (in english) at
http://www.linex.org/linex2/linex/ingles/index_ing.html
 or here (2 years old):
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59197-2002Nov2.html

> If you start up the image you have a question ("pregunta") which asks if
> you want to load in updates. I answered 'No'.
>
> The user interface is in Spanish but you can go to the 'configuration'
> menu and choose 'poner el idioma' and choose as well English or German.

You should answer "Sí" to the "pregunta" because since the publication of the
image file in the swiki many fixes had been added, and a new look has being
uploaded. The last changeset of that image is No 1103, and upgrading the last
one is 1212, so, more than 100 changesets will be loaded.

> The whole image gives an execellent impression how an end user system
> made in Squeak looks like. Programmers functions are not easily
> accessible. I found the menu entry 'Configuration' -> 'switch to expert
> mode' opened an inspector on a morph, got a class browser and then the
> system browser.

That is an important thing for us: most teachers and children don't know
anything about smalltalk, they just use etoys and the multimedia features of
squeak. That's the reason for the expert and novice modes. There are more
differences: in novice mode the world menu doesn't appear, when you select an
object you will see a rectangle around it, there are options to recover
invisible or out of the screen objects, all the actions can be taken with a one
button mouse, the menus and actions have been studied to allow this posibility,
what is quite usefull when you use some new "electronic blackboards" that only
have one pointer, or if you use mac, etc, etc, etc.

> There is as well an iso image (600MB)
> http://swiki.agro.uba.ar/small_land/11
> Is this a LiveCD like Knoppix?
>
> http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/

Yes, it is a knoppix, using debian, and where we added some documentation,
videos, etc. Most of them in spanish, of course. There are some things that are
technically good to see, like mozilla-firefox starting from squeak, in a live cd
without needing an OS in  your pc. It could be usefull for demos.

> >>5) Does it contains packages/subsytems which are not in 3.8 but which I
> >>may readily use?
> >

> > All packages it contains are included in the impara image. The (about 200)
> >  changesets that this image has are to correct some bugs and (mainly) to
> change the user interface. You
> >  don't need to load any package to use them.
> >

> What would it involve to have Diego's menubar as a Monticello package
> which can be loaded into 3.8gamma?

Well, maybe that's a question Diego should answer. He will be out of the office
this week, you will have to wait until the weekend for an answer.

Regards.
José L. Redrejo Rodríguez
Junta de Extremadura - Spain