modifier duplicating/swapping

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Wed Dec 15 21:42:21 UTC 2004

In an attempt to summarize this thread, the three main candidates for
fixing the native text-editing command key problem were dupAll, dupMain
and swapMain, defined in Lex's first post.

After a bunch of discussion in this thread and also a separate
"copy/paste" thread, people indicated their preferences:

dupAll - Me, Lex, Ingo, Milan Z, Ned?
dupMain - John H, Ned
swapMain - Hannes

(By "preference", people were mostly pointing out what they thought was
the best overall solution, not necessarily their own personal
preference.)

Note that all three of these solutions solve the essential problem of
beginners on Windows being able to use ctrl-c/ctrl-v/etc to copy/paste
by default.

I posted an [ENH] yesterday which implements dupAll.  Since IMO it was
the overall winner in the discussion, I will harvest it & put it in the
3.9alpha stream soon.  Both dupMain and swapMain (and the current option
of no swapping/duplication whatsoever) are still available as
preferences that people can turn on.

- Doug