Morphic windows move upon saving image

aaron reichow areichow at d.umn.edu
Thu Dec 16 04:32:20 UTC 2004

I've seen this happen myself. To me, it sounds like you have a window that
is a little bit outside of the World's bounds- that is, oftentimes, if you
have a window cornering one of the edges, in reality that window may have
a position of -2 at -1 or something like that. When you have a window that is
at all out of bounds like that, Squeak tries to be helpful and pops them
within the viewable area.  This is a feature, not a bug- it's especially
helpful when you turn off full-screen mode, or de-maximize a window.
Squeak will make sure you can get to all of the windows you had open
before you shrunk the World.   It runs this check when you save an image.
Unfortunately, it doesn't just push them into the World- say, along the
same border- but seems to put them somewhere completely random.

But then you see it manifest in this way.  It could be made more
intelligent- perhaps don't move the window if any of the window's
grabbable titlebar is inside the World at all, not just moving anything
just barely out of it, etc. This doesn't seem to effect all Morphs, though
I seem to recall that something like it happens when the *whole* morph is
out of the World's bounds.

If you're like me, and like to have a set place for your windows- e.g. I
always have stationary a whisker browser here, a script manager there, a
regular browsers over there- and don't want it to get all weird on you,
I'd suggest that you bring up an inspector on the window and position: it
to 0 at 0 if it's the case of the upper left corner, or if it's in the
bottom right-

  self position: (World width - self width) @ (World height - self height)

and etc for various corners you'd substitute a zero in one or both of
those.

Regards,
Aaron Reichow

UMD Library :: (218) 726-6651 :: areichow at d.umn.edu