Squeak in Emergency mode

Jan B. Krejčí janbkrejci at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 07:26:42 UTC 2004

Hi,

As an example, I've tried this:

1) I wrote to Workspace:
[ [true] whileTrue: [] ] fork
2)  pressed Alt-D to run it
3) saved the image (took me some time, but I managed to do it)
4) after I restarted Squeak, black window has appeared and Squeak has
started to eat about 80% of CPU, not reacting to any input

when I started Squeak again with David's process-listing startup
script, it did not execute (or maybe I'm not patient enough, waiting
ten minutes). I wasn't even able to break the thread by Alt-. So maybe
in cases like this the startup script killing the ugly processes isn't
strong enough.

I'm thinking of few possible ways to resurrect such a messed image.
(And believe me, until I have established myself some rules, I messed
it up many, many times. Now I carefully stop all the stuff I wrote
before I save the image and start it again with a startup script.):

first - maybe the idea of "addToStartupList" is not very good and one
should avoid this approach to make things run when starting Squeak.

second - maybe the keyboard interrupt watching thread should be
scheduled at higer priority

third - could some emergency-startup support be incorporated right into the VM?

What do you think about it?

--
.:jbk:.
Jan B. Krejci