[RANT] Come on people! ;)

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Thu Dec 16 07:45:41 UTC 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:09:30 +0200, <goran.krampe at bluefish.se> wrote:

> - And what happens when package X isn't being maintained properly and
> someone is sad about it?
>
> Answer: It bloody rots. But *so what*? If noone is prepared to maintain
> it then obviously noone cares. Let it rot I say! Bah! :)

This is not without cost, unfortunately.

Recently--well, about last month or so--I began installing packages from
SqueakMap into my 3.7 image. Not all of them. Just a dozen or two. About
half installed without problem, which didn't recommend the other half to
me, particularly when there were dependencies that didn't install.

The fact that so many wouldn't install was perplexing, because I
specifically didn't try to install any of the (many) packages SqueakMap
said weren't suitable for 3.7. But I'd sometimes get an error message
after that which suggested a version mismatch.

It looks like SqueakMap is evolving, though, so I'm not going to focus on
that, except to ask if there shouldn't be a "graveyward" category for the
projects that don't work with the latest version.

My next question is whether there is someone going through the packages
and testing the abandoned ones for "rot"? And: should there be? If so,
that might be another thing I can do. (I've already volunteered to help
Goran with the newsletter.)