[RANT] Come on people! ;)

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Thu Dec 16 08:40:27 UTC 2004

Michael Latta wrote:
> Stephane,
>
> With Smalltalk we have a rare option.  We can add tools that support our
> work, far more effectively than in many other environments.  If the rate
> of change is too high for some packages to keep up on a release-by
> release basis, then have fewer major releases, and more releases for
> testing within the community.  For example rather than doing 3.9 with
> all components, release a 3.8.5 with those components that can be ported
> to the next core release.  When all the packages are caught-up than call
> it 3.9, or the like.  Have intermediate releases that are for "internal"
> use to get new technologies in the image and people working with it.  Or
> simply extend the alpha/beta periods, whatever.  We can also create
> tools that make it easier to know if a package is impacted by changes.

Good idea. Why not doing a 3.8.1 release with the current content of
Squeak3.9alpha update stream (and empty it therefore again for 3.9alpha)
shortly after 3.8 or even at the same time when 3.8 is released? 3.8.1
would be a release for "internal" use mainly. This would break up the
release cycle of 6 months planned for 3.9 in easier to manage parts.

Hannes