[RANT] Come on people! ;)

Martin Wirblat sql.mawi at t-link.de
Thu Dec 16 11:38:36 UTC 2004

Göran,

just one short note for now. You are completely missing the roots of the
discussion and you are proposing a process which can't work. What you
describe is a system without synchronization, a project without teamwork.

If there is a part of a project on which all other parts depend, and
someone working on this part makes changes on it and communicates them
SO THAT other parts of development are slowing down disproportionally,
then overall efficiency decreases. Without proper communication it may
even happen that part of the changes themselves are inferior.

To put this into the right view we have to think about the question: Who
will use Squeak? and not: What do I personally like? or: What may this
community like? Serving the biggest group will grow and therefore
advance Squeak the most and at the end of the day benefit each of us the
most.

For every current Squeaker with his or her very special interests, there
are 100 times more ordinary application programmers and 1000 times more
ordinary computer users. The very sad part of this is, that Squeak did
not yet entered the terrain of the former.

These two groups of potential users, which dwarf by their sheer number
of people the current Squeak community, have some difficulties with
viewing Squeak as something really interesting.

For the application programmer who is using VisualBasic etc it is mainly
the lack of:
- speed
- flexible and elegant GUI-library with a visual building facility
- small footprint of the image
- documentation

The normal computer user misses directly or indirectly the same things
and additionally applications. Application programmer! Even more
interesting to this group could be a whole new paradigm of software,
something which is not only a clone of the M$ world, a niche in which
Squeak could dramatically grow.

Back to the development process. These other parts under development I
talked of, which are deemed to be slowed down disproportionally, are
among the things that are interesting to the rest of the world. They are
Squeak's biggest chance! Having that in mind the word disproportional
seems to be moderate. We have some huge discrepancy here!

Given the importance of these other parts you can conclude that this
story is not over yet, and I guess you know that. With stepping in the
footsteps of someone pushing and shouting you will not solve this. I
know you try to do the best and you surely thought about how to write
this post, but your choice of this style seems to be totally wrong. The
"communication attempt" of pushing and shouting has already done much
harm to Squeak, the biggest part of it probably invisible.

Regards,
Martin