[RANT] Come on people! ;)

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Thu Dec 16 17:01:36 UTC 2004

I really don't want to chime in.... really... but:

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:12:17 +0200, <goran.krampe at bluefish.se> wrote:
> No. :) In fact - we do not *have* to do anything. Open source just
> doesn't work that way, not in my experience.
> Everyone focus on what they personally like and that is *all right*.

Although I agree with Goran in principle, there's of course the laziness
factor: by applying a bit of work towards attracting more people, they'll
probably will do more work for me by contributing, so I'll gain from that.
Still, a focus on what someone personally wants - Scratch Your Own Itch
(and when done scratching, please eat your own dogfood ;-) still holds.

That's the only difference: I want something, I can build it myself
("Goran way") or enlarge the community so that others will likely build it
("Martin way"). All fine. It becomes bad when G. tells M. what to do or
the other way around.

Indeed, don't say "we have to..." or "we should...." or, badbadbad, "you
have to....".

Say "I'm going to..., anyone wants to join in?".

Gee... the guts of this de Groot type... silent for months and now he
steps in and thinks he holds the truth... jerk...

Ok, back to work. I am going to do some massaging to get an ex-Sun guy to
say 'yes' to Squeak in our next project ;-)

(ok, I'm going to use the phrase anyway: "You Have To..." keep your
fingers crossed that I succeed because this next project is funded with
$$$$$$ and will be open source ;-))