My own gripe about the focus of squeak development.

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Thu Dec 16 13:50:31 UTC 2004

If I understand the focus of several recient threads, it seems to be
about dissatisfaction with certain charactoristics of the squeak
development community.

My own gripe is that, judging by the subject lines on this list, the
primary focus of effort, roughly 80%, is on the inappropriately named
"Montechello" versioning system (or other software that fits in the same
category). I would have no complaint if this were a key piece of
software vital to all squeakers everywhere. However, Squeakmap -- which
I assume is a mostly distinct technology, is already quite satisfactory
for most of my needs, and the needs of most users I expect.

I would not complain if it were the case that the software and features
that I wanted to use for my own projects were adiquately maintained --
maintained to the point where any MNUs and other defects can be found
and fixed in 30 minutes by someone who has some experience with Squeak.

However, it appears that the Squeak developers are beginning to fall
into the same trap the GNU people fell into. You seem to be trying to
find the ultimate greatest solution -- and expending all available
developer resources -- to a problem that doesn't interest me in the
slightest. =(

If I was confident that removing Montechello wouldn't dammage my image,
I'd do so out of protest!

My current design for my own next project involves me getting Squeak to
behave as an X server, to the extent necessary to run ZSNES, and then
doing further processing on the output of that program.

I *KNEW*, that the X-server was broken in 3.7, but I figured I could fix
it...

OK...

When I got the thing installed, -- and tried to create an instance by
way of the desktop menu, it immediately went red-box with many many
error messages that I couldn't understant...

The class comments were written in some language unfamiliar to me that
bore a strong resemblance to pig latin... =\

It would seem to me that because the X-server functionality could be of
use to nearly all users on nearly all platforms, it would be maintained
at least to the point of being readily fixable to the experienced user.

I will probably end up fixing it myself because I have no other choice
but I havn't been able to figure out which end is up on the thing yet. =(

PS: By some miracle, hardware acceleration is now working for B3D under
linux, there are still some issues with damage rectangles but it does work!