About a new roadmap for 3.9

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Dec 16 22:07:25 UTC 2004

"Russell Penney" <russell.penney at tincanct.com> wrote:

> > > I am up for cleaning my reader however I was planning to
> > write a URI
> > > based file framework to replace what lives under FileStream and I
A small bit of advice - don't start off by tying them together. A
better filesystem is a big thing and needed much more generally than
for a music player.

I assume you've exhaustively read the archives for the innumerable
discussions we had on the subject of file system rewrites? Some of it
actually included some good ideas. I think you should find some useful
code relating to URIs etc if you track it down.

The key problem with something like a new file system is not the large
amount of work it involves (been there, done that several times too
often) but the work of getting people to adopt it. You'll need all the
good wishes that will surely be beamed your way from those of us
wanting an improved FS.

tim
Useful random insult:- Settled some during shipping and handling.