JIT?

Michael Latta lattam at mac.com
Thu Dec 16 23:54:14 UTC 2004

There are several factors involved.

1) There is risk that any project will fail, fail to be acceptable to
anyone paying for it, or take longer than acceptable, or be overtaken
by events.
2) A developer needs to eat.  You can assume he has a day job, but then
it takes longer (see above).
3) If you pay before it is done you can be shafted by a lazy or bad
programmer (see above).

So the issue is how does someone doing significant work get paid to eat
(salary level income).  And who takes on the risks.

1) A typical corporate model is to get someone to front the money with
the hope of making more in income than it costs to pay for development.
2) An entrepreneur model is that the programmer takes the risk and
expects a rate of return in exchange for the risk (say 10x salary).
3) Open source hopes to get people to give their time away because they
are so frustrated with their day jobs, have jobs that pay them to
donate software, or they are grad students that do not need much money
because they are slaves to the university they hope will give them a
piece of paper with PhD on it.
4) There is always programming as entertainment, but that produces very
unreliable levels of effort, which we do see in part currently.

I have to admit I understand why options 1 and 2 work, better than why
3 works.  I see it working, but I still do not understand why.  Why
would you not spend time with your kids or doing something else if
there is no reward.  I suspect that the reward is more pronounced to
those that either do not have a day job in the area they want to work,
find something intellectual more rewarding than money or other
activities, or some such sentiment.

So is there a big enough Squeak community to support itself doing paid
work on the product?  If the result was a commercially viable Smalltalk
it would have more chance, but with that would come responsibility for
maintenance, training, documentation, etc.

I have no problem with the notion that the community pay for work that
then becomes the property of the community.  What is key is who takes
the risk, and how are they rewarded for that risk.  We could look at
the JBoos example, but I suspect that we need to demonstrate a larger
market than we currently have.

Michael