Unrant

Michael Latta lattam at mac.com
Fri Dec 17 00:02:14 UTC 2004

That would be my advice also.  Decouple the release of the core
components from the "application" components.  Just as I can not assume
that application X can run in the next release of OS/X without testing
or vendor assurances, the same is true of Squeak.  The fact that the
core developers have source for the applications does not change the
responsibilities.  Each package should go through release cycles just
like the core.  If you release a 3.9 base image with just tools, then
each application package can be migrated to operate on top of it.  The
end result is that some applications will lag more than others.  Some
applications will release new versions at the same time as core
releases.  It just depends on how actively they are maintained.  But,
you can not assume all packages will run on the new release.

This is not unique to smalltalk.  I do not assume my Objective-C code
works on a new release of OS/X.  I do not assume my Java code runs on a
new release of OS/X, Windows, the JDK, etc.

Michael