Off topic: Education

Andres Valloud sqrmax at cox.net
Fri Dec 17 03:04:02 UTC 2004

Tim,

> [1] Of course in any truly civilised nation education doesn't come with
> a price tag to the educatee. Since everyone benefits from an educated
> populace in ways including educated and successful people paying more
> taxes, it is obvious that as many people as possible should be given a
> shot at extensive education. I've noticed that a large fraction of
> people that disapprove of this idea seem to be the people who wouldn't
> likely have made much use of a full education.

Most jobs are as follows:

  Help your ultimate boss earn much more money than you are paid.

Unfortunately, I would contend that at least a few ultimate bosses
have shown the ability to design a job market that requires the least
education possible to satisfy this requirement.

In general terms, if someone's IQ is 100+x, his/her perception is that
the IQ is really 100-x.

Today, 3x10^2 selected individuals are considered to be wealthier than
3x10^9 other selected individuals.

Hmmm... sigh...
Andres.