New FileSystem

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Dec 17 18:28:52 UTC 2004

On Dec 17, 2004, at 10:17 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 09:41:54AM -0800, Craig Latta wrote:
>>
>> 	(I'm sending this again as a new thread, just in case people with
>> threaded readers might have missed it the first time when it was in a
>> subthread.)
>>

>> Hi all--
>>
>>         Russell writes:
>>
>>> My plan is to have nearly everything written in Squeak with very
>>> basic primitives, that way it allows more control...
>>
>>         David writes:
>>
>>> If you're going to do a complete rewrite, it would also be good to
>>> generalize the notion of an I/O channel for files, sockets, pipes,
>>> or whatever other external resources can be modeled in this way.
>>
>>         I've done this with Flow ( http://netjam.org/flow ). I
>> originally wrote it in 1997, first released it in 1998, and have been
>> trying to get it into Squeak ever since, without much success. :)

Well it has been a few years so my mind is a bit fuzzy.
However if one looks at
http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com/papers/tipsAndThoughts/
codeFragments.html

You will find a port of Craig's flow work to Squeak 2.7, 2.8, 2.9 which
provided for his Flow work
using the existing primitives, versus the flow specific primitives.
I'll note the SUnit which was
as always helpful in uncovering some bugs and if I recall generating
more work for Craig.

This of course is old and outdated, still might as well review
everything.

>> --
===