Funding (was re: JIT)

Jochen Riekhof jochen at riekhof.de
Sun Dec 19 17:36:04 UTC 2004

>If we could say "We're competing with C not Java for speed" and mean
>it, that would probably grab mind share. That would take a year or
>two full time.

Wouldn't say this any more. We are doing number crunching, image
processing and a lot of other stuff with Java, and for the last two
years or so (since jdk1.4) we did never come acroos any optimized C/C++
code than was considerably different in speed from the same altgorithm
in optimized Java (we  always try to port them due to stability if we
can) . Considerable here  means +/- 20% , sometimes Java, sometimes
C/C++ is faster.

It would be really cool if Squeak would come even to half speed or so
compared to C/Java. I very much like prototyping algorithms in ST due to
the great environment, but the speed is really not acceptable for
competitive applications today. It is often still faster for me to
develop an algorithm  in ST rather than in Java and doing the port due
to environment advantage, though..

Ciao

...Jochen