[ANN] New keymapping on SqueakMap

Romain Robbes romain.robbes at lu.unisi.ch
Mon Dec 20 10:24:38 UTC 2004

On Dec 19, 2004, at 7:29 PM, David Shaffer wrote:

> It's sweeter than cake.  It's shinier than nail polish.  It's better
> than the crappy old version I posted a while back...my most recent
> development version of Keymapping is now on SqueakMap.  Load it, place
> your mouse over a morph, like the class name pane in a browser, press
> control-k and be amazed.  Be warned:
>
>    - requires Monticello (not just MczInstaller)
>    - not compatible with Services framework

for now ...
from what you say, this seems pretty cool. I'll try it ASAP.

>    - not compatible with older versions of Keymapping (don't load into
> same image)
>
> This is a substantial improvement over the existing Keymapping
> framework.  It allows keymaps for any morph.  It supports "keymap
> categories" so that apps can share keymaps.  It support per-morph
> keymaps (although there is still an issue with the lifetime of those
> keymaps).  It support a hackish display of keyboard shortcuts for menu
> items.
>
> I am at a crossroads with this work.  In order to make this more than
> just a proof-of-concept I modified all of the tools in my image (Full
> + some stuff) so that they can have editable keymaps.  Maintaining
> these tools alone isn't prohibitive but trying to adapt more tools to
> use KM is probably unrealistic unless one of two things happens:
>
>    1) we agree on an "action framework" for buttons, menu items etc,
> or,
>    2) we adopt Keymapping into the base
>
> I don't think 2 is very realistic at the moment so I'd like to work on
> 1.  Can people developing tools please look at my UI classes (those in
> Keymapping-UI) and the way in which the employ actions so we can start
> a dialog about this?  I think the Services framework is a necessary
> part of that dialog.  Basically they way I see it is that a tool
> provides (through a registration mechanism) two things:
>
>    - a list of context specific actions which can have keyboard
> shortcuts
>    - a list of global services the application can provide
>
> What I'm proposing is that I make another pass through Keymapping to
> factor out the "actions" so that applications/morphs can register
> actions which can then be assigned to buttons, menu items and keyboard
> shortcuts.  This would give the user the ability to customize at least
> the shortcuts and potentially the menus and buttons as well (like for
> a toolbar).

I think we can really do some nice things by combining our two tools
... you mention that you have some keymap categories, which
should be interesting in collaboration with my Service categories ...

I already envisioned to customize buttons in the browser for example,
but the old browser is a bit of a mess to do that
(even if I did some refactoring when I issued the first version of
BrowseUnit).

In fact, I will have a look at your new release right now ;-).

Cheers,
	Romain