[ANN] New keymapping on SqueakMap

Romain Robbes romain.robbes at lu.unisi.ch
Mon Dec 20 17:29:47 UTC 2004

On Dec 20, 2004, at 4:43 PM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:24:38 +0100, Romain Robbes
> <romain.robbes at lu.unisi.ch> wrote:
>
>> I already envisioned to customize buttons in the browser for example,
>> but the old browser is a bit of a mess to do that
>> (even if I did some refactoring when I issued the first version of
>> BrowseUnit).
>
> Guys, isn't that the point of OmniBrowser?  I'm not sure how
> worthwhile it is at this point to try to do anything with the old
> system browsers.  It's significantly easier, in my experience, to
> extend OB, and I don't think it's unreasonable to simply decree that
> Services (or eCompletion, or Shout, etc) will only apply to
> OmniBrowser and the old browsers will continue to work as they always
> have.  Speaking purely as a user of those various packages, I would
> much rather see a well designed, well integrated set of tools that
> required OB, than a mishmash of over-generalized packages that try to
> be everything to everybody.

I have to look more closely to OB ... I did already tried to extend it
in some ways,
but it involved modifying the code of the graphs. I'd like to see if a
cleaner
approach is feasible. But it sure is in my plans !

As for the old browser, I'd like to support it in some way. Maybe not
with optional buttons as it involves a lot of changes (as I did
previously with the old BrowseUnit).

> My EUR 0.02 (which is, what, about 7 american dollars these days?)
> Avi

For the last question, I can't help you, I'm only using swiss francs
these days ;-)

Romain