What is Squeak?

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Mon Dec 20 19:53:25 UTC 2004

Mark,

Mark Guzdial wrote:
> It took me a long time to figure
> out that "Mantis" has something to do with bug-reporting (and I'm still
> not sure what yet)

Mantis is a open source bug reporting and change management system used
for developing the versions 3.8 and 3.9a of Squeak.

http://bugs.impara.de
You can get an account there to report bugs.

Michael Ruegger is responsible for the release 3.8 whereas for 3.9 it
will be the Berne group.

> and I'm still not clear on the relationship between
> "Monticello"

Source code management system and distributed repositories

works with *.mcz files, currently the file format many new
projects use.

"SqueakMap."
Actively used and maintained comprehensive catalog of squeak artifacts,
*.st, *.cs, *.sar, *.mcz files. The SqueakMap catalog is downloaded into
every image. A base image has a package loader where you can choose from
the 500 available packages on SqueakMap from within the image. The
packages are tagged with their version and some dependance information
is kept.

> "SqueakPeople" that I have no clue about.)
An attempt to change how people interact (common blogs - basically a
good idea) including a ranking system. Not much used and not terribly up
to date.

  Terms like "change set" and
> "file list" and "browser" provide a lead as to what they're about.  I
> know about the sources of information, like searching the mailing list
> archive and the Squeak Swiki (and SqueakFoundations and SqueakMap
> and...), but that's just knowing the clues.  It's still a pretty
> complicated process to find answers to what using Squeak is about today.

No it is not more complicated than it used to be. Just ask on the list
like you did ;-)

>> BTW, does any one know how many of these books were sold ?
>

> Yes, I do.  The white book has sold 3,011 units worldwide.  In the first
> six months of 2004, there were only 42 units sold -- 21 in the US, 2 in
> Canada, and 19 in "export" (mostly Japan and Singapore).  The nublue
> book has sold 1,381 units worldwide.  In the first six months of 2004,
> the nublue book sold 52 units -- 25 in the US and 27 in export.

Not too bad in fact. Thank you for sharing openly this information.
Today I looked into your book again. I suppose that most of it still
applies. Recent efforts made sure that Baloon3D/Wonderland is loadable
in 3.8 (Thanks to Andreas, Boris et. al).

But to be sure how precise the documentation you wrote still is you
should have somebody test it against a current release and have him
write a corrigenda. Then the rest of the books have a fair chance of
beeing sold as well ;-)

Regards
Hannes