[3.8gamma-6527] I can not load the 'Browser reduction' package in 3.8gamma-6527

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 20 22:21:31 UTC 2004

Hello, I've been away and offline for the last week and just now getting back
on-line and saw your message, sorry for my delayed response.

Tracing messages occurs in method-list panes when you browse implementors or
senders.  To trace forward, just select the message *in the code pane* on the
bottom and press Command+m.  If it is a multi-keyword message, you only need
select the first part of it (e.g., a convenient double-click is sufficient).
If there is only one, you will be positioned to it automatically.

To trace backward (e.g., senders) it's easiest to positioon the pointer in the
upper pane (methods list) and simply press Command+n.  Senders will be
outdented from the currently selected method.  If there is only one, you will
be positioned on it automatically.

Note, alll this is dependent on the "Trace messages" option being set in the
preference panel, but loading it sets it, IIRC.

Note a couple of non-obvious behaviors:

  - if any editing has been performed in the bottom pane, further tracing will
*always* begin in a brand new window.

  - A method is included only ONCE in the list.  So, for example, if you are in
a one of two methods places called from the same method (i.e., A calls B
followed by C and you are in C), *and* that calling method is already somewhere
else in the list and you press Command+n, nothing will happen.
This is your indication that it is already in the list.

  - However, this now seems non-obvious and it fooled Ned once, so I'm thinking
of a way to improve that.

  - Sometimes you get a lot more than you want, for example, you have
implemented your own #at: and you only want YOUR senders.  You can either use
the filter OR you can multi-select the methods you don't want and press
Command+f (for remove From browser).  I noticed there is a bug using the filter
after 3.7, it loses the previous indentations.

  - Notice that the window-title adjusts depending on which method is currently
selected, and based on the directioon of the *last* trace action performed on
that method.

> I would like to load the 'Browser reduction' package from SM
> into3.8gamma-6527 gamma.

I'll look into this.  I'm in the middle of a lot of heavy work so I haven't
upgraded to 3.8 / 3.9 yet.  I'll check it out soon and let you know.

If I cleaned them up, I think these are worthy of being in standard Squeak.  If
others agree, I'll take time out to do that cleaning.

 - Chris