What is Squeak?

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Mon Dec 20 22:45:18 UTC 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:05:57 -0500, Mark Guzdial <guzdial at cc.gatech.edu>
wrote:

>>    Maybe someone should start nagging the authors of these Squeak
>> books to share their wealth derived from Squeak
>
> "Wealth"?  Have you written a book, PhiHo?  There ain't much profit in
> most book writing endeavors.  You do it because you want to, and you
> sink the time in because you think it's worth it. The royalty checks
> are nice, but the profit margins are pretty thin.  I'm quite sure that
> Prentice-Hall hasn't broken even on the nublue book.  I'm grateful that
> Alan Apt (our publisher) was willing to take a gamble and publish these
> books.

Amen to that. Writing books generally pays less than working at your local
fast food joint. Publishers constantly gamble (and lose) and it has to be
ten times trickier in the current market. All the programming mags I used
to write for (except one) have evaporated. It's too much easier--and more
relevant--to search the web.