Morphic questions

Michael Latta lattam at mac.com
Tue Dec 21 06:05:34 UTC 2004

On Dec 20, 2004, at 9:29 PM, Doug Way wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2004, at 2:46 PM, Michael Latta wrote:
>
>> Another source of this impression is that the system browser keeps
>> breaking on me.  The bottom pane keeps getting messed up.  The scroll
>> bars often stick out below the bottom of the window.  I had the
>> browser get confused about the switching between one and two bottom
>> panes.  At times there were 3 areas below the row of buttons, with
>> scroll bars that overlapped.  Then when I selected a method, the text
>> was in a pane that was the top 1/3 of the bottom area.  After loading
>> a package recently the top set of lists and buttons disappeared.  The
>> row of buttons can easily be resized to smaller than the buttons
>> themselves, cutting them off.  I suspect the 3.7 browser is less
>> stable because of the added comment pane for class selections (which
>> I like a lot), has this gotten better in more recent versions?
>
> I haven't seen any of the problems you mention with the system browser
> (except for the resizing of the buttons pane).  Can you get any of
> those other bugs to happen consistently?

It is quite repeatable for me.  The bottom pane gets garbled pretty
regularly.  When I get a chance, I will try to reproduce it with known
steps in a clean image.

> I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing that most of the instability
> you're seeing is from installing a lot of different packages.
> Unfortunately it's very easy to write a package which attempts to fix
> bugs by overwriting a lot of methods, which then tends to cause lots
> of breakage when the package gets out of date and is loaded into a
> later version of Squeak.

I am using 3.7-5989-full.  It occurs in that image.  In my most recent
exploring I have loaded only Aqua2 and Connectors2.

> I typically don't load more than a few packages in one image... and I
> tend to stick with the packages that I know are safe.  (It's sometimes
> useful to treat images as throwaways, it's easy to save multiple
> copies of an image, or run multiple images at once, etc.  As opposed
> to, say, most Java IDE's, which won't let you run more than one IDE at
> a time, and it's a pretty big hassle to even save a backup.)

Let alone having enough RAM for running more than one!

> Also remember that the whole SqueakMap/packaging thing is still
> relatively new... the "published" concept was only added a few months
> ago for example, and there's no real dependency/configuration scheme
> yet.  I think some of these issues will work themselves out
> eventually.  For example, there may eventually be certain package
> formats which are determined to be "safe" to load, at least in terms
> of not directly conflicting with code in other packages.  These
> formats may become more popular/favored as people discover they cause
> fewer problems, etc.

Does the current MC format test for conflicts when overwriting a
method?  If the packages I want are in that format, will it verify that
so I should start lobbying the authors of the packages I want to use
that format.

> - Doug
>

>> On Dec 20, 2004, at 11:38 AM, Michael Latta wrote:
>>
>>> I tried loading Connectors, but it was not a good experience:
>>>
>>> 1) There was no published version for any Squeak version.
>>> 2) After saying take any version it could find, it was missing a