[RANT] Come on people! ;)

Stéphane Rollandin lecteur at zogotounga.net
Wed Dec 22 10:53:20 UTC 2004

Ned Konz wrote:
>>I'm developing a rather ambitious open source application for musical
>>composition and I would like it to live a long life. it's very nice to
>>see all this dynamic of experimentation taking place, but at the same
>>time some strong and solid ground should be maintained to allow for the
>>construction and long term maintenance of reliable applications on top
>>of Squeak.
>

> Would you like to grab a shovel and help maintain that solid ground?

well I have had the showel in hands for a long time now. I sent several
bug reports, most of them with fixes, plus some ENH, but I can not go so
far as becoming a co-maintainer for all the packages I need.

also my writing to this list for reporting my experience as I just did
with all these recent mails is part of that job. I have had many
that, and I endorse that view, but this can't be the full answer in such
a complex system as Squeak. if I were to take this seriously, this would
mean: "just do and maintain your own fork"... I could do so but I think
it would be a failure of my model of development. what I'm interested in
is working alongside with other people, but to do so we need the answer
to the question I'm asking in the "is the Dynabook still a vision for
Squeak ?" thread. I would be glad to have your contribution to that answer.

regards,

Stef