[RANT] Come on people! ;)

Kamil Kukura kamk at volny.cz
Wed Dec 22 21:46:59 UTC 2004

I can't use Squeak much as I have no so specific project for it, but
anyway, the word I don't hear is RESPONSIBILITY. I don't even know if
there's a single wish for it and I am not sure I should call for one. It
just gets into my mind when I "walk arround" the image. Just open
browser and go:

For example, category "Network-TelNet WordNet". Everybody satisfied with
this name? OK, let's see more, there's interface to WordNet that is used
from editor's other menu. Definetely cool thing, but just it needs an
answer to this poll: How many percents of squeakers do use it? I mean
use it often like knife. If not so many, it should be packaged. Who is
responsible then for packaging? Who is responsible for what we have
inside in it? And we can go further - there's TelnetMachine class. OK,
interesting name, though it implies it's kinda thing for WordNet and not
something outlined in RFC. But let's see the comment:

"The beginnings of a telnet terminal, for telnetting to other hosts.
NOTE - it should separate out the VT100 code to a separate class some
time...."

When? Tommorow? In three months? Never? Who is in charge? Does it have
some kind of project leader whom to complain, send fixes, etc. Where to
talk about it? squeak-dev again?

It's nice to see, that those packages or fundamentals that are popular
and in everyday use, are being cared of. I think, mainly because authors
are happy with any feedback and can answer in return. But resting legacy
is just keeping the chaos inside. Nobody seems responsible for it, so
nobody cares. Of course nobody deletes as well, because "what if..."

Btw, who are those people in PDAMorph?

--
Kamil Kukura