eToys surprises

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Thu Dec 23 02:33:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:21:44 +0100, Bert Freudenberg <bert at impara.de>
wrote:

> Am 22.12.2004 um 09:02 schrieb Blake:
>> The Lunar Lander project I have in mind requires the ship to be able to
>> actually change its heading, but I can't just use the forward script,
>> obviously, because the effects of gravity have to be considered.
>
> That sounds overly complicated. Adding in gravity is just accelerating
> along y, right? No heading needed for that ...

Adding in the gravity isn't the problem. Adding in the thrust is. Changes
to momentum along the X and Y axis caused by the thruster are,

I could get the same ultimate result, I think, by moving forward and then
pulling the ship down--but that would look terrible, since the two motions
would be discrete, creating a step-like appearance when the ship is
travelling up and to the right.
              /
           /\/
        /\/