Classes in eToys

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Thu Dec 23 03:54:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 07:35:47 -0800, Alan Kay <alan.kay at squeakland.org>
wrote:

> Try siblings and copies ....

Thanks, will do.

> (and also try reading some of the material on the Squeakland site).

Well, I went through the Etoys, Tutorials and Other Goodies page. I looked
at the kids' projects (most, not all). I'm looking now and I don't see
anything on siblings or copies. There's lots of non-squeak/land specific
stuff.

>> Sure. And has been pointed out, there isn't a good transition between
>> eToys and Squeak proper.
>
> Etoys shouldn't transition to Squeak proper.

Huh. I thought it was you that I read lamenting the lack of a transition.
Maybe not to Squeak but to something more adanvced than Etoys?

So, if not Squeak, whence from Etoys? (Whither?<s>)

> Or course, he can make hordes of whatever he programs.

OK, I see that the copy feature does copy over the scripts, which is good.
There's some kind of copy property, too, which I hadn't considered before.

>> I'll check out the thesis. In the meantime, what would be ideal, I
>> wonder.
>> A copy method? Creating a real class from the eToy? Smalltalk's
>> extensibility has to be its most impressive feature; I'm sure it could
>> be
>> done.
>
> There are any number of things that can be done in Squeak that are not
> good ideas or well thought out .... suggest the latter before the former

Hence my question. On the other hand, sometimes it's better to do
something just to learn to never do it again.

I'm trying to balance a lot of issues. I know I could teach my three year
old assembler, but I'd a hard time explaining why I was teaching it to
her, or how it related to the computers she uses. At the same time, I
don't want to teach them Etoys and then have to turn around and say,
"Well, if you want to write a real program..." (I'll admit to a certain
paranoia, here, since I'm building a professional program in a tool I
wouldn't foist upon my worst enemy.)