[BUG][FIX]StrikeFontSet>>maxWidth - array out of bounds

Peter van Rooijen peter at vanrooijen.com
Thu Dec 23 21:25:15 UTC 2004

Trygve Reenskaug wrote:

> At 17:56 21.12.2004, Ned Konz wrote:
>
>> On Monday 20 December 2004 12:03 pm, Trygve Reenskaug wrote
>> >     StrikeFontSet>>maxWidth
>> >          ^ (fontArray at: (2 min: fontArray size)) maxWidth.
>>
>> I posted a fix for this on January 8th. I didn't bother to put it into
>> Connectors 1.9 because I was coming out with Connectors 2.
>>
>> What problems did you have using Connectors 2?
>

> The short answer: BabySRE doesn't work with Connectors 2.
>
> The long answer is: Of course, it didn't. BabyUML is a hodgepodge of
> Jacaranda, Connectors and my own stuff. Jacaranda mainly by copying code
> before maltreating it. Connectors the same + subclassing. And my
> maltreatment is surely in conflic with your improvements.
>
> Why not use Connectors and Jacaranda as they are? I am a toolmaker and
> need rapid prototyping of new ideas to discover what works and what
> doesen't. I am too stupid to understand the static and dynamic
> architecture of Connectors. I see that it is a very smart and powerful
> piece of code, and I have probably ruined it with my clumsy
> modifications. As it is, I expect I have to write my own diagramming
> code from scratch because I MUST have full control for my experiments.

Trygve,

Just to let you know I agree 100% with your desire to have full control
of the code you base your work on. In my own work I have made a point of
it for quite some time, not to depend on someone else's code if I can
help it.

This may be considered heresy and bad form (which is part of why I'm not
writing this to the list ;-)), but it's the only way to gain reliability
in the absence of guaranteed capabilities (which are simply not
something that is currently available).

Good luck and I look forward to checking out your BabyUML some time.

Cheers,

Peter