Classes in eToys

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Fri Dec 24 00:16:13 UTC 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 12:48:01 -0800, Alan Kay <alan.kay at squeakland.org>
wrote:

> Please give an example of "To be able to make programs like the ones they
> see and use regularly.".

The two easiest ones to identify are stories and games. The former I
expect no trouble with. The latter, I do, because the most prevalent
models have tremendous production values.

1. Stories.

About 10 years ago Broderbund had the "Living Books" series (the Dr. Seuss
ones were excellently done) but you could go to a web page and see
something like:

http://www.createatale.com/

And envision it not just as a fictional device, but a way to create
reports on historical events, science experiments, etc.

Createatale.com is Flash. As someone else here said, they were looking to
make Squeak competitive with Flash. For this purpose, I can't imagine
Flash has much on Squeak other than ubiquity.

2.Games.

About 25 years ago, when I learned to program, this was easy. Vector
graphics, arcade games, even "Collossal Cave" was simple by today's
standards. I can start the kids on lunar lander, space invaders, etc. But
they're going to want to do far more ambitious things. Just as an example,
when I was playing with lunar lander, the 9yo said, "We should add
asteroids to dodge and maybe enemy alien ships and..."

As I listened, I heard him invent (discover) the next twelve iterations of
"lunar lander", i.e., I remember the version of lander that had asteroids
to dodge, and alien ships and power-ups. This doesn't surprise me. As a
kid in 1979, I invented the FPS, the CRPG, the real-time wargame, the
action-adventure, etc. However, it does inform me. I know what I'm in for.
There is a huge opportunity to teach higher math and physics. Not just
f=ma but f=G(m1*m2/r2), see if we can measure G and look at the problems
in doing so, etc.

Likewise, he's very interested in military history, and it would be good
to present a simulation of why the phalanx ruled for so long, and how it
was brought down. (He took apart the last two "Lord of the Rings" movies
for their battle scenes.)

Ultimately, though, he'll take the most pride in being able to make a game
and publish it. Online, multiplayer, and even massively multiplayer.