Three major fixes to morphic and eToys of interest to Squeakland.

Peace Jerome peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 24 00:17:53 UTC 2004

>On Wednesday 22 December 2004 9:59 pm, you wrote:
>
>> CurvierMorphs with truly closed curves,
TargetSighting
>> for Sliders, and Stars that can have any number of
>> points and have any amount of pointiness.
>>

>> I believe these all will be of interest to your
>> squeakland users.  These all fix bugs and
limitations
>> that have been present in Squeak for a long time.
>>
>Thanks much, I will look at these!
>
>> All carefully as backward compatible as I could
make
>> them. All with play-with-me demos.
>>
>> Are now available on Bob's superswiki and via sm.
>>
>> http://209.143.91.36/super/637 is my index page on
the
>> superswiki.
>
>I loaded all three change sets into a Squeak 3.8
image, then tried to load the
>CurvierCurves project. I get a message "Reading an
instance of
>SelectedObjectThumbnail. Which modern class should it
translate to?" which is
>an indication of a missing class.
>
>Also TheWorldMainDockingBar. Did these projects come
from a 3.9 image?

Yes. I sort of skipped over 3.8. Thanks for the feed
back. When I get back from holiday travel I go back to
3.7 full and resave the projects.

>Unless there is a specific need for 3.9 capabilities,
these demos would be
>easier to test and demo in 3.8, 3.9 and Squeakland if
they were 3.8
>compatible.

Agreed.

>> I writing you hoping for your help in convincing
the
>> guides to include these changes in 3.9. Please take
>> look at these projects and let me know what  you
>> think.
>
>I tried them in a 3.9 image and like them a lot! Nice
code, and good things to
>have in the image.
>
>You were quite brave to tackle PolygonMorph, and I
like the way you came up
>with to do the curves. Quite a bit of math there...

Yeah. I left some interesting stuff out of the
changeset that does the math. It was much more than
needed here but very interesting in developing
insights.

>Some questions and comments:
>
>* When you change the stars to curves ("make smooth
outline") they don't
>benefit from the "curvier curves" enhancement (that
is, the first/last point
>is not curved). See the attached shot. It would be
nice to have
>rounded-stars. I tried making StarMorph inherit from
CurvierMorph and it did
>what I wanted it to (see the other image); is there
something that
>PolygonMorph can do that CurvierMorph can't in this
context?

This was a backwards compatibility issue. I wanted to
isolate at first all the changes into curvier and
leave the users of polygon with what they expected.
Inorder not to break anything inadvertantly. With the
acceptance of Curvier Curves
I intend move as much as possible into polygonMorph.
I’ve started to do that but did not have time complete
it before this round of publication and sharing.
My focus right now is on debugging “How to get
published in the squeak stream.”

>* How about Etoy properties for the star for number
of sides, radius, or
>"starness" (delta between radius of adjacent sides)?
I don't know what the
>best terms for these would be.

Hmmm. How do you do Etoy properties? I didn't attempt
to learn Etoy stuff. Just focused on something worth
doing that was simple/interesting to learn.

>* I have seen the outer handle jump when I pick up a
star with the handles
>showing. But you said you fixed this?

I think there might still be a problem with old star
still showing handles.
I use the first vertex as the point they use the
second. I check for this and the first time I adjust
the star correct for it. The old stars old handles
will jump once. Then everything should settle down.
Old stars without handles get corrected before
anything noticable happen. This was a small enough
hiccup I didn’t put effort to correcting it.
(Hopefully everyone will be using the newer stars in
the future.) Does this explain what your seeing or are
you refering to something else?

>* The up/down arrows near the center are very hard to
hit, since they're only
>a few pixels wide.

Tweek the "above" parameter in the addStarHandle
stuff. They are a little hard to hit. I only had
myself for user testing.

>* Balloon help would be good, as the user interface
is not obvious (especially
>the distinction between shift-drag and drag on the
handles)

Agreed.

>* spelling: flexible, not flexable (in the project)
>
>* spelling: inscribed, not inscibed (on the menu)

Okay,  thanks for proofing.

>> They are in good shape an worthy of being added to
an
>> unstable version of 3.9.  Once that is done I don't
>> believe there will be any problems and certainly
none
>> I won't be able to fix.
>>
>> This is my way of appreciating squeak.
>
>It's greatly appreciated, thanks!

Thanks Ned, for the time and the interest.

and later ned wrote:

>OK, here's another thing to fix:

>* Make a CurvierMorph. Open its Etoy viewer. Change
"gradientFill" to true.get a walkback:

Thanks I’ll look into it.

Yours in service, -Jerome Peace