Tweak is impossibly slow on a PDA; ideas?

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Fri Dec 24 14:02:14 UTC 2004

Am 24.12.2004 um 07:09 schrieb aaron reichow:

> Hey all!
>
> First: is this an OK place to talk about Tweak?  Or should I be looking
> for a dedicated mailing list? Perhaps the Croquet list? If this is an
> inappropriate place, let me know nad I'll moe on outl

> Second: What's the deal with the slowness of Tweak?  Does anyone have
> any
> idea?  Let me be more specific: this is on Pocket PC. A pretty slow PDA
> too, a 206 MHz StrongARM iPAQ 3650 running the Pocket PC 2002 update.
> Morphic isn't great on this device, not in anything newer than 2.8 or
> 3.0,
> but it does go.  Tweak is impossibly slow. I am using a TweakOnly
> image I
> found that has no morphic or MVC, just Tweak. You tap on "File" in the
> menu bar at the top and it takes 45 seconds or so and the File menu
> itself
> pops up.  Similar for most GUI actions.

My guess would be this is mainly because of emulated floating point
operations on the ARM?

Potentially Tweak could be more efficient than Morphic, but it is not
at this point. For example, all of Tweak's enriched object model is
implented by regular message sends rather than being optimized in the
VM. The new flexibility takes its toll, performance-wise.

- Bert -