Socket connect fails

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sat Dec 25 00:18:18 UTC 2004

"Frank Gerlach" <frankgerlach22 at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello follks,
> I am new to squeak and encountered a problem I cannot resolve on my
> own (and google didn`t return anything usful either:
[snip]
> Now, what does primitiveFailed mean ? I am running this on a Windows/XP
> machine, and there is a server running on port 1444. I tried OldSocket
> also, but to no difference...

It means exactly what it says - a primitive function in the VM failed.
Unfortunately there is currently no way of the VM communicating exactly
(or evn approximately) why it failed. Usually we can work out a lot
more from the Squeak stacktrace which (unless something truly dreadful
happened) got written to a file called SqueakDebug.log in your default
directory.

I do have code to allow better failure return values that I hope to put
into the system some day but it really needs to wait until there is a
good excuse for an image compatibility break since it... well, never
mind right now.

Looks for that log file and see if it says anything that makes sense to
you and if not, report it on the list.

tim
"Bother" said Pooh as "Formating Drive C" appeared on the screen...