What is Squeak?

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Dec 29 09:02:18 UTC 2004

Hi Mark and all!

Just posting my take on short explanation on some "code words".

Mark Guzdial <guzdial at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> But it's hard to grok Squeak these days.  There are lots of "code
> words" out there that are hard to decipher.  It took me a long time to
> figure out that "Mantis" has something to do with bug-reporting (and
> I'm still not sure what yet), and I'm still not clear on the

As Doug remarked, a search on the Swiki should have cleared it up. :)

Mantis is a web based bug reporting tool that is currently being used to
report and track bugs/issues in Squeak. It is currently hosted by
Impara. Mantis itself is written in PHP and is quite nice and AFAIK
Julian Fitzell (a Squeaker) has even coded on it at a time. :)

> relationship between "Monticello" and "SqueakMap."  (And now there's

Ultra short:
SqueakMap is a catalog of released Squeak software. Monticello is a
source code tool.

Slightly longer:
SqueakMap is a distributed catalog of Squeak packages and their releases
that every Squeaker has a local copy of in their images. SqueakMap knows
how to download and how different packages can be installed into the
image.

Monticello is a tool which can take one or more class categories (and
loose methods in other classes - something often referred to as "class
extensions") and file them out in a single compressed file (.mcz). More
importantly it keeps track of the versions of these files and how they
relate and can then compare/merge/upgrade/uninstall these packages from
the image and much more. Without explaining more the gist is that
Monticello replaces Changesets as a much better way of maintaining your
source code.

> something called "SqueakPeople" that I have no clue about.)

Well, it is a website more or less. :)
http://people.squeakfoundation.org

The interesting part with this website (also referred to as SqP or
Squeak People) is that it has a trust rating system.

> Terms like
> "change set" and "file list" and "browser" provide a lead as to what
> they're about.  I know about the sources of information, like searching
> the mailing list archive and the Squeak Swiki (and SqueakFoundations
> and SqueakMap and...), but that's just knowing the clues.  It's still a
> pretty complicated process to find answers to what using Squeak is
> about today.

I agree with this but I don't agree with that Squeak People or SqueakMap
is "badly named". Monticello may have a name that doesn't reflect what
it is - but as someone else explained, we can't call all source code
management tools "Revision Control System".

Hehe, or perhaps we can - there is a really interesting tool called
DARCS (David's Advanced Revision Control System) so perhaps Monticello
could have been called ASCRSC (Avi's Super Cool Revision Control
System). Eh... no. :)

regards, Göran