[Q][3.8g] Other languages (e.g. French, German, Spanish) in menus

hjh-sqlist at lexdb.net hjh-sqlist at lexdb.net
Wed Dec 29 22:21:15 UTC 2004

Quoting Michael Rueger <michael at squeakland.org>:

> If you download the squeakland plugin you will get the German and
> Spanish external translation files. You need to copy them to the prefs
> folder next to your VM.

Thank you for the quick answer.

It worked.

Here is a report with an additional note how to activate the language.
This might not be obvious.

I downloaded the current Squeakland plugin and installed it.

Under
C:\Program Files\Squeak\Plugin  (Windows XP)

I find a folder called

'prefs'.
It contains a folder 'locale' with a subfolder 'de' and 'es'.

I copy it to the directory where I keep Squeak  3.8g and start up Squeak.

What do I do now to activate the German menues?
I choose the WorldMenu -> help ... -> set language.

Then there is a pause - and voila - I have the German menus.  Cool!!

BTW where is the French? Stephane, Alexandre, Serge .....?

Hannes

P.S. Is the German Translation file up to date (29.07.2004)? Or can I download a
newer version?
It is 160kB wheras the Castellano file is 287kB (03.09.2004). I doubt that the
German language is more compact in its expressions.