Connectors: What Are They?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Dec 30 03:15:15 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 04:13:27PM -0800, Blake wrote:
> I've been fascinated by--and trying to follow--the discussions on
> connectors over the past month and have just one question:
>
> What are they?
>
> I mean, can anyone give me a "high concept" definition that explains what
> they're designed to do? What problems they're meant to solve? I have them
> on my system, but I can't figure out how/where to use them.

I use Connectors whenever I want to make a diagram or picture, especially
when I want to show something to a person accustomed to PowerPoint slides.

Think of it as a diagramming tool where the objects in the diagram just
happen to be live objects in Squeak. Sort of like a Powerpoint slide
that comes to life when you click on something in the diagram.

Many thanks to Ned for creating Connectors. And while I am at it, I
should mention the excellent Plot Morph package by Diego Gomez Deck,
which I have also been using recently (well, today actually) for data
presentation.  Both Connectors and Plot Morph are wonderfully useful
for presentations and data analysis.

Dave