Adding tests package to the image [GO VOTE!]

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Tue Feb 3 17:33:04 UTC 2004

Hi all!

Jason Rogers <jacaetevha at fast-mail.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 09:05:15 -0600, Ken Causey <ken at kencausey.com> wrote:
>
> > Replying to posts, and by extension voting, is restricted to those who
> > have been certified up to at least the level of Apprentice.  This means
> > that you don't get to vote until others recognize that you have made
> > some level of contribution to Squeak.  If you have contributed in some
> > way to Squeak please be sure to note on your
> > http://people.squeakfoundation.org/ page what you have done or link to a
> > web page where it is noted.  This sort of information is necessary for
> > others to decide at what level to certify you.
>
> So things that affect the entire community are allowed to be voted on by
> that subset of the community that has a measurable rate of return to the
> community, but not by that subset who has no measureable return.  Doesn't
> sound much like a community process to me.
>
> Personally, I haven't been able to contribute to Squeak due to time, lack
> of experience in Smalltalk, and maybe some other reasons.  Does that mean
> I value Squeak any less than say, Dan Ingalls or Alan Kay?  Does that mean
> that I have no valid input on the processes of the community?  Quite the
> opposite... I have a wealth of understanding and experience in objects,
> unit testing, etc. but how does that get expressed except through a mail
> list that is very much overloaded -- a mail list that, I would tend to
> believe, most folks cannot read in totality.
>
> Sounds fishy, but if that is the process, I resign to it.

Ok, let's all calm down now. :) The voting experiment that Ken started
and that now have two votes running (one started by Ken, the other by
Julian) is *just an experiment*.

It is not an "official" process of the community nor the Guides. Even
though I personally as a Guide like the experiment and want us to learn
from it.

regards, Göran

PS. The community badly needs to put a decision process in gear - and I
think it is one, if not THE most important thing we need to do in the
very near future. Personally I want to focus on TFNR first though.
Perhaps one or two of the other Guides could take charge regarding this.