Adding tests package to the image [GO VOTE!]

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Tue Feb 3 19:16:41 UTC 2004

Julian Fitzell wrote:

> Please remember we are voting only on whether to manage the tests
> through the update stream. We are not voting on whether the tests
> should be included in the image(s) that you download from the squeak
> website. The two issues are separate and I don't believe there is any
> disagreement that the tests should be in the downloadable image.

Right.

I don't think this aspect has been discussed as much, so I'll add a
couple of points.  I think the tests would be better managed via the
update stream because:

- It will be less work overall to harvest tests via the update stream.
Tests are often submitted to the BFAV along with the changes that are
being submitted.
   - It will be (slightly) less work for submitters, since they could
submit code and tests as part of the same changeset if they wanted, as
long as they follow the test naming/category conventions.  (I guess we
would allow this?)
   - It will eliminate the extra manual work that the BaseImageTests
package maintainer (Marcus) has to do, which is significant... for every
batch of [updates] he has to find and add the appropriate tests
associated with each update, if any.  Although at some point this could
be automated, we're not quite there yet.  (Marcus could comment here if
I haven't described this correctly.)

- Tests are a special case in some ways.  It's not like Balloon3D or
VMMaker, which are cohesive subsystems and where it makes sense to have
a lead maintainer.  Tests are spread out throughout the system (as far
as what is being tested), and are arguably best maintained by whoever
maintains the tested code, not by one single Maintainer Of All Tests.

I'll add these comments and my previous ones to the SqueakPeople site.

- Doug