Morphic performance on Acorn

Timothy Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Feb 4 02:34:58 UTC 2004

Now here's a funny fing to file under the 'funniest things since mad
Mick  McMad won the Maddest Man competition' folder.
After much pondering about what goes on in my VM when Morphic is in
action, I found that changing the platform code attached to
ioForceDisplayUpdate to do nothing made Morphic run 3-5 times faster.
It's amazing - I know have snappy response menus, typing goes smoothly,
drag-selecting is fine, all that stuff. So far I can only surmise that
something about the prim implementation/usage was massively
overpowering the graphics system. Right now though I'm just enjoying
the new pleasures of a usable UI :-)

tim