[MC] handling missing dependencies (was Re: [despammed] Re: Sloppy Focus)

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Feb 5 18:53:11 UTC 2004

On Feb 5, 2004, at 10:39 AM, Samir Saidani wrote:

> Ok, let us imagine I load a Package A from Monticello, and I have to
> modify some vanilla-squeak base methods : it's possible with no
> problem thanks to the extension methods. Now I load a Package B from
> Package loader, then I load a package A which modifies vanilla-squeak
> methods + Package B methods : there is no problem thanks to the
> extension methods mechanism. But when I load package A before package
> B, here is the problem : package A don't find package B and there is
> an error... To avoid error messages, package A could be aware that
> some extension methods only apply to vanilla-squeak methods, other to
> package X, and decide to apply extension methods only when such a
> package is installed.

To be slightly pedantic - when package A doesn't find package B, what
you currently get is a Warning, not an Error.  If you're ok with the
fact that the extensions to package B won't be loaded, you can hit
Proceed and the rest of the package will load fine.

Would a first step be to improve the error text, or to use a custom
dialog instead of the standard Warning notifier?  Do you have any
suggestions?

Right now the text is:   "This package depends on the following
classes:   [needed classes in Package B].   You must resolve these
dependencies before you will be able to load these definitions:
[extensions to Package B in Package A].  Select Proceed to continue, or
close this window to cancel the operation".